# Online Bidding Times
When setting up an Online Auction you will generally also be setting up the Online Bidding Period or default online start and end times for bidding. This primarily affects the Biddable Items in your event.
BIDDABLE ITEMS: These are Item Types participants can place bids for.
|Item Types||Common Usage|
|Online||Primarily online or electronically taken bids where bidding automatically closes at the end of the Online Bidding Times set for these items.|
|Silent||"Final bids" are generally taken from "paper" bid sheets but can be bid on pre-event online although will not automatically close by default.|
|Live||In most cases, these are items auctioned at an "in-person event" with bidding led by an auctioneer or emcee at the actual event venue.|
# Setting Default Online Bidding Times
You can set the default online bidding times in the Online Bidding dashboard.
Once you have set a start and end time for your event they will be used as the default for all items and enable Online Bidding for the event as well.
- You can override the default Online Bidding Period times on a per item basis.
- If you specify times here, you do not have to set it on individual items.
- Start and End times should be set in all cases when online bidding is wanted.
# Setting Override Online Bidding Times
For Biddable Items, you can override the start time, the end time, or both times on a per item basis. This is handled in the Item Details Summary tab of the item by setting the override time in the Online Bidding section.
As viewed in an Online item type, this is similar for Silent and Live item types.
# Biddable Item Type Specifics
- Online Items will use the "Override" times to automatically open or close the item for bidding. When the end time is met, item won notifications will be sent as needed to the winning bidders.
- Silent Items will use the "Override" times for online "pre-bidding" (for more information see Online Pre-Bidding Versus Online Bidding). In general, unless the "Silent" items will be available for bidding after the "online event" has ended, the default times are fine to use as-is.
- Live Items will use the "Override" times in a similar fashion as the Silent Items although in most cases, "Live" items will have their bidding closed manually during the live "in-person".
To enable "pre-bidding" for Silent or Live item types you will also need to ensure the Participate in online bidding option is enabled (this option is enabled by default).
As viewed in a Silent item type, this is the same for a Live item type.
# For Sale Item Type Bidding Times
By default, For Sale Items do not have "start" or "end" times. Once they are created and made available on the auction website your participants are free to purchase them at any time.
In essence, For Sale items ignore the default Online Bidding Period times although this does not mean you cannot set "Override" times for these items. This is handled in the Item Details Summary tab of the item by setting the override time in the For Sale Items section.
Setting an "Override" time will affect the availability of the For Sale item regardless of the default Online Bidding Period times.
# Donation Item Type Bidding Times
By default, Donation Items do not have "start" or "end" times. Once they are created and made available on the auction website your participants are free to make their donation pledges at any time.
In the same sense as For Sale items, Donation items ignore the default Online Bidding Period and can set "Override" times in the same manner. This is handled in the Item Details Summary tab by setting the override time in the Donation Items section.
Setting an "Override" time will affect the availability of the Donation item regardless of the default Online Bidding Period times.
Do Not Set "Override" end times for Donation items. This will allow visitors to the auction website to continue to make donations as long as possible. By default, the website will eventually "close" by way of the Archive Auction functionality so there is no need to actually set an online end time.
Reviewed: 2021-07-23, 12:44 PM