# Item Types (updated)
Items are crucial to all events in Auctria and one of the first tasks is to add the items you need.
When you create items, you must set the item to be one of the Auctria Item Types.
The Item Types are pre-set by Auctria with specific functionality assigned to each type. Before you set up your items, it is best to understand the different items types.
The item type can be changed at any time. This may change how Auctria handles the item. Please remember to double-check the item is behaving as expected if you do change its type.
The following types are available:
- Silent Items: sold via a paper bid sheet at your event.
- Live Items: included in a live auction, there is no bid sheet produced.
- Online Items: sold fully online via the website, mobile app or text based bidding.
- Partial Items: items that have been donated but which are not being sold on their own, but will be included as part of a basket item.
- For Sale Items: items you are selling for a "fixed price" and may have a limited quantity available. "For Sale Items" are more commonly used for Tickets and similar items not normally bid on.
- Donation Items: projects bidders can donate to but which they don't actually "win".
- Raffle Prize Items: prizes for a raffle, or similar event, that are awarded to a bidder without a cost.
The most commonly used Item Types are Silent, Live, and Online. One way to decide if these types are what you are looking for and which to use is to consider where the final bidding for the item will be taking place:
The Item Type of an item can be changed in its Item Details Summary tab.
# Examples Items
The following examples show how to create items for different scenarios.
# Silent Auction With Pre-bidding Enabled
Silent auction item types are often seen at traditional gala events and can be created with the option to allow for online bidding prior to the actual event itself.
The item should be created with a type of silent and have the Pre-bidding option enabled.
For more details see Online Pre-bidding vs Online Bidding.
# Basket / Packaged Item
A handful of cosmetic items have been donated separately but will be sold together as a "basket" or "packaged" item/lot. In this case, you would need the following:
1, A single item that represents the "basket" of items being sold. The auction type for this item can be "live", "silent", or "online" depending on how you will be selling the basket.
2. You will want to track one item per donation with a type of "partial" (the individual cosmetic items). Each of these items can have its own donor and relevant value.
By default, the "basket" item will calculate its value from the "partial" items that are assigned to it.
You can learn more about how to set this up in Baskets and Packages.
# Raffle Tickets
A raffle where tickets are sold one for $5, or four for $15, with multiple prizes available.
In this case, you would use two "For Sale Items" to represent the raffle tickets.
- An item for a single ticket, with a "For Sale" item type and a value of $5. You might assign a meaningful item number value such as RAFFLE to help identify the item as a "Raffle ticket" item although you could use any item number you wish.
- An item for a pack of 4 tickets, with a For Sale item type and a value of $15. You could give this an item number a value such as RAFFLE4 to help identify the item with reference to the RAFFLE ticket.
- You would also need one item per prize with an item type of Raffle.
The value can optionally be set to the item's actual value.
For more information see Run A Raffle.
# Dinner Party
A silent auction where up to 12 people can win a seat at the table for a dinner party.
This case be be handled in a couple of ways, depending on how you want to work the bidding.