# Dessert Dash
Dessert Dash: A "Dessert Dash" is an in-person event fun way to help increase your fundraiser income. You will need a table full of desserts (one for each table of guests). The desserts are displayed for your guests to choose from; and, at the guest tables, each guest writes down the amount they want to contribute to the collective table bid. The table with the greatest bid wins first choice. The next highest table bid would chose second and so on.
Dessert Dash: Table Of Contents
# In-Person Dessert Dash
With most In-Person Dessert Dash activities the bidders will be making "donations" towards winning the prize of being first to the dessert table to choose their favorite of the selection being offered. Following this approach the easiest way to manage this in Auctria would be to create a specific Donation type item for each table that is only used for the Dessert Dash activity.
You can use something simply for the item number like
DDT1 for the item number and "Dessert Dash Table One" for its title (you could even use that "title" as an item number although keeping the numbers shorter allows for easier bidding such as for those using mobile devices). Adding a Tag to the items, for example,
Dessert_Dash to make them easier to find and report on may also be useful.
Another thing to consider, if you are allowing for your participants to make donations online, is to set an Override Online Bidding Ends At time for these Donation items. This will add some extra incentive to get donations in sooner rather than later and help to generate more buzz around the activity... adding an Override Online Bidding Starts At time might also generate some quick bid with the building anticipation of the activity starting. NOTE: This is the exception to the rule of not setting Donation type item online bidding times.
# In-Person Dessert Dash Overview
- Create Donation items for each table of guests.
- Remind guests the Dessert Dash is going to begin (and end) at a specific time.
- Generate some "buzz" while the donations for the Dessert Dash are being made.
- Once the Dessert Dash "bidding" has ended, review the relevant Donation items and compare results. NOTE: Since each guest is donating to their specific table item you will only need to rank those specific items.
- Announce the winners and enjoy the desserts!
Afterward, since each participant made their own specific donation to the Dessert Dash activity they will each see their specific donation/contribution on their Bidder Statement.
# Dessert Dash Review
The simplest way to review the results of the In-Person Dessert Dash, especially if you used a Tag to identify your Donation items related to the activity, is to use that Tag to filter the all items list report. This would then show the amount each Donation item raised; or, in other words, the winning tables!
- Open the all items list report.
- Use the Choosing Columns function to add the
$ winning bidscolumn to the report.
- Optionally, set the "Group" to Donation only items.
- As needed, filter the report further using your
Dessert_DashTag (see suggestion above).
- Optionally, you can save this as a View for future reference although you will still need to filter the results each time.
An example view with the added $ winning bids column filtered by the Tag "Dessert_Dash".
# Online Dessert Dash
Although Dessert Dashes are generally considered a favorite in-person auction event "game" that helps to generate higher fundraising amounts moving to an "Online" Dessert Dash does change how it could be handled in Auctria.
- Create a Dessert Dash item as an Online type item.
- Get a high-quality image of each dessert and make certain to add them to the item (see Batch Image Upload) and provide descriptions to detail what the desserts are — bidders will want to see what they are bidding on so be extra descriptive with lots of imagery especially the scents.
- Set the Quantity Available (
X) to the number of desserts that will be showcased for the dash.
- Allow Multiple Winners for the Dessert Dash item — this allows the top
Xbidders to win a dessert.
- Once the auction item closes, you will be able to see the top bidders that won a "dash" to the dessert "table".
From this point you will need to hear back from the winning bidders as they would have received an Item Won Notification (this is an automatic System Email Notification and not configurable).
This will be a manual process that may simulate the “dash” although you may need to set some “rules” on how best to handle what time you receive a response back from the bidders.
These "rules" would then translate into the order the dasher / bidder could pick their dessert. This may require a separate communication and response from the bidder. Although it may be much easier to have an In-Person Dessert Dash for a number of reasons, this is still something you can do.
Just remember, with some preparation to establish (and post) the "rules" for the Online Dessert Dash, which will help to make things run more smoothly, you can have a successful Dessert Dash event online using Auctria.
Of course, delivery of the desserts will need to be sorted out and would likely be taken care of after the event.
# Live Dessert Dash
This would essentially follow the same approach as an Online Dessert Dash with the exception of the bidders seeing their bids updated live on the auction website and the auctioneer would be able to entice bidders and increase the funds raised through the live stream of the auction, too.
The live streaming could also allow for the "dash" part by providing a forum for the auctioneer to call on the winning bidders to make their choice at appropriate intervals after the Dessert Dash item has closed.
In those cases where multiple bidders are pooling their resources to win an online "dash" to the dessert table, you can use the Split Bid function to allow more than one bidder to make a payment to the winning bid. NOTE: You cannot split bids via an online checkout.